Note: Many of these articles were pulled from our previous website and are up to 10 years old. A majority of the information is still applicable; however, much has also changed in the industry. If you find any information in error, please reach out to jeff@[[bulger-web-address]].com. (Email address encrypted to prevent spam).
Lock BumpingSimilar to Lock Picking. Click Here to learn more about lock-picking.
What is Lock Bumping?Lock Bumping is a technique used by thieves, new and experienced, to break into homes and businesses without leaving a trace of forced entry or manipulation. Using a specially designed key and a hammer, thieves are able to open up your home or business in a matter of minutes. Come see the virtually bump-proof Medeco or SSS deadbolt and leave your home, possessions, and family knowing that they are all safe and sound.
Facts about Lock Bumping*
- Lock bumping can open over 90% of homes which use a basic knob or deadbolt cylindrical lock.
- The ones you find at Home Depot and other stores are ALL vulnerable to lock bumping and picking.
- Someone can make a bump key in 5 minutes if they know what they are doing.
- When your lock is bumped, there are no signs of forced entry or damage to the lock.
- Tougher to prove to insurance company that there was a break-in.
- Because of all the resources available these days and all the attention about this security threat, safety experts say it's time to protect yourself against lock bumping and bump keys.